My very ill neighbour, P, the one who has been rushed off to hospital more than a few times lately, is doing better. She is still very ill and dying, but she has been home now for a full week, with no sign of an ambulance. I haven't been home the whole time, so maybe there have been district nurses and her carers visiting, I just haven't seen them.
Here is the biggest change; yesterday, P used her walker to make her way around to my front door to hand me a note, asking would I please come to her flat at six pm to help her with something.
Voluntarily leaving her flat, using the walker, to ask for help!
I was very surprised and told her so, since she managed to get up my porch steps as well. There is a hand rail of course, but this woman has legs as thin around as my wrists, no muscle at all to support herself with.
Anyway, I went around just before 6pm to help her. She wanted to phone and book a taxi to go somewhere this morning. She is unable to speak more than a whisper because of the cancer in her throat, and the whisper is very hard to understand as well, so she writes everything down now. So I phoned and booked the taxi, making sure they understood that she is unable to talk and that she wished to go to her bank and have the driver wait to bring her home again.
P is getting out and about! This is wonderful to see.
I imagine it is very hard for her to do this, but she seems to have gained a little more determination since her last stay in hospital.
I'll be watching out for the taxi at the appointed time to be sure she manages, I'll just hang around watering my garden at the time, not obviously watching and then I'll watch to be sure she makes it home again. I had planned to go out myself this morning, but my things can wait until this afternoon.
**Update: the driver was a lovely older gentleman who helped P from her door into the taxi and when he brought her home, supported her again, to her door and inside to her chair.

0 Yorumlar